Saint Kitts and Nevis Overview
Saint Kitts and Nevis and located in the northeast Caribbean Sea, covering an area of 267 square kilometers. The country has a population of about 4.6 million, 94% of whom are black, with the remaining 6% white or mixed race. Residents are Christian and English is the official language. The currency is the East Caribbean dollar, and the capital is Basseterre.
The flag if green, yellow, black,, and red, with two five-pointed stars. Green symbolizes the earth and all kinds of crops, red symbolizes the new federal states after independence, yellow symbolizes the sun, and black symbolizes the people of the islands. The two stars represent St. Kitts and Nevis.
Columbus arrived at the island of Saint Kitts in 1493, which was later occupied by Britain in 1625, and eventually France. In 1785, under the Treaty of Versailles, the island formally became the property of the United Kingdom. In 1628, Nevis also became a British colony. On September 19, 1985, the islands declared independence and joined the Commonwealth.
Economy and Culture
Sugar is the main pillar of the national economy and a major source of foreign income.
Saint Kitts and Nevis Map