Luxembourg is a landlocked country in Western Europe, all known as the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. An area of 2586 square km. Population of 446,000, of which 64% of Luxembourg and the rest to foreigners. The official language is French, German and Luxembourgish, French and more for the administrative, judicial and diplomatic; German and more news for newspapers. Residents are Catholic. Currency is the euro. Capital of Luxembourg (Luxembourg).
Luxembourg National Flag
From the top down the flag has a red, white and light blue tricolor.
After early Gaul residence, the Germans invaded in 400 AD with Luxembourg becoming a Frankish kingdom and part of Charlemagne’s Empire. In AD 963–1554, the Ardennes answered to the Holy Roman Empire and the Dominion to the Duke of Luxembourg. Between the 15th and 18th centuries, it was affected by Spanish, French and Austrian rule. The Vienna Conference in 1815 decided the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg should belong to the Netherlands, with a part-time King of the Grand Duke, at the same time be a member of the German alliance. In 1859, it became recognized as an independent state of Luxembourg. In 1867, it became neutral and started a constitutional monarchy in 1868.
Economy and Culture Overview
Luxembourg is a developed capitalist country but lacks natural resources and the economy depends heavily on small markets such as the iron and steel industry, the financial industry and the broadcast television industry. Luxembourg is known as the “Iron Kingdom” and its long-term steel production per capita ranks first in the world. However, more than 95% of the iron ore and coal used in steelmaking are imported. Luxembourg City is an important financial center in Europe, behind only New York, London and Tokyo.
The capital of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg has a long history, especially its famous castle. In the history of western Europe, it has been an important military fortress. It has three retaining walls, dozens of massive forts, and is known as the “Gibraltar of the North.” Downtown is the valley connected by 110 small bridges.
This is a scenic town located northeast of the Ur Ertel Brook River that was built in the ninth century. The town built a Gothic church in 1248 and this remains as one of the country’s ancient religious buildings. The town’s secular museum store has a variety of fine antiquities to show the world the history of civilization in Luxembourg. The town has an “overhead pulley” up to 440 m, where visitors can ride to the ancient city. French writer Victor Hugo was exiled there.